Serac’s groundbreaking Agami technology, which received the World Dairy Innovation Award 2015 in the Manufacturing / Process Innovation category, continues to extend bottle thermoforming possibilities by enabling manufacturers to produce their bottles out of pre-printed plastic sheet reels.
Agami: decorated bottles in one step using pre-printed PP reels
Very successful in the drinking yogurt market with its Agami thermoforming machines that allow bottle production bottles from PS or PP reels, Serac has recently gone a step further by adapting its simple, efficient and reliable solution to the thermoforming of bottles out of pre-printed PP reels.
The technical challenges of this new development were to define precisely the features required for the PP sheet as well as for the printing inks and to provide perfect positioning of the printed reel together with precise advance rate control. For this particular application, Serac has equipped its Agami machines with sensors and sets of cameras that ensure fast initial machine setting with minimum waste, and systematically check that the PP sheet is at the right place for the next stroke during production. With this new development Serac probably offers the smallest footprint ever for on-site bottle manufacturing, using a vertical thermoforming process and requiring no labeler or sleeve applicator.
Agami Technology: more than machines
This latest development illustrates Serac’s ability to offer innovative packaging solutions and global support to customers. For all Agami projects, Serac provides technical assistance on plastic sheet machinability as well as tests under real manufacturing conditions (pilot molds, pre-printed PP). Serac also proposes a full range of services around packaging design that include bottle creation, 3D printed samples for design testing and closing system optimization.
Agami technology: World Dairy Innovation Award winner
- Cost efficient : economical on-site manufacturing equipment with low energy consumption ; low plastic weight per bottle ; possibility of producing bottles out of pre-printed plastic sheets (no sleeve required)
- Space saving : vertical process ; bottles go directly to the filling machine (no storage tanks and unscramblers needed)
- Easy to operate : easy to shut down and restart ; requires very few plastic processing skills
- Versatile : PP or PS as raw material ; various design possibilities, shapes and appearances ; standard or calibrated necks
Main applications :
- Standard, squeezable or microwavable bottles
- From 100 ml up to 500 ml
- For pasteurized milks, drinking yogurts, probiotics, ESL dairy drinks, sterilized milks, UHT flavored milks…
With 3 new Agami machines recently sold in the U.S.A and Europe for PP thermoforming, Serac confirms the benefits and reliability of its innovative technology as well as a real interest from the dairy market for on-site bottles production.