Various booths from Food Japan 2016
ASEAN’s biggest Japanese F&B trade showcase expands portfolio to include innovation, services and in-depth masterclasses
Singapore, 27 October 2016 – Food Japan, ASEAN’s leading exhibition for Japanese F&B related products and services, opens today with a showcase of authentic Japanese F&B related products, technology and services. With over 1000 items from 304 exhibitors from 40 prefectures, Food Japan 2016 will provide visitors with a plethora of options to understand, explore collaborations and learn more about Japanese ingredients, unique prefecture specialities as well as innovative technology, machinery and services.
Previously known as Oishii Japan, Food Japan has rebranded this year to reflect its expanded portfolio and scope. Serving as a bridge for F&B businesses between Japan and ASEAN, this year’s showcase focuses on Health, Innovation, and Productivity, with half of the items being new to the show. In-depth masterclasses and workshops, conducted by Japanese and local industry experts, will also debut in Food Japan. The event runs from 27-29 October, with the first two days open for trade visitors only, and the last day for trade and public visitors.
“Over the last four years, Food Japan has grown in terms of scale, and our exhibitors too have benefitted from the shows. Japanese F&B players are gaining a better understanding of the food trends and interests in Singapore, as they obtain valuable industry insights and feedback. For example, one of the biggest food trends is an increasing acceptance and interest for affordable ready-made food products from Japan. That has resulted in greater availability and keenness to export such products to Singapore”, said Mr Masanao Nishida, Director of OJ Events Pte Ltd, Organiser of Food Japan 2016.
All you need to know about Japanese F&B, right here at home
With 500 new items showcased in Food Japan, visitors can look forward to popular mainstays such as confectionery and snacks, alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages. They include:
- Confectionery foods from All Japan Trade Association of Confectionery Manufacturers, including dorayaki and cakes.
- Healthy food items such as natto by various companies under the Ibaraki Small and Medium Enterprise Promotion Public Corporation Pavillion.
- Soy sauces and miso from the Iskikawa Food Association, a family owned business since 1911, which produces traditional Japanese soy sauce and miso from a century-old natural fermentation formula.
- Over 30 exhibitors from Ishikawa and Central Japan will jointly present the Central Japan Food Pavilion. Items include sake, miso soup paste.
- Sakai knives from Sakai City, one of the world’s finest knife production centres. The knives are forged using method that is adapted from gun production during the middle ages. Sakai knives have very sharp carbon-steel blades, which are essential for Japanese cuisine and highly valued among top chefs worldwide. They will also be presenting a Masterclass on knife techniques and sharpening methods on 28 October.
- An automatic packing machine from Fuji Machinery that can demonstrate how food can be kept fresh as well as protected from environmental elements. Fuji Machinery will also be presenting a Masterclass on 27 October on Packaging.
- Logistics technology from Yamato Transport.
Trade visitors can also participate in eight curated sessions under the inaugural Masterclass series on 27 and 28 October. Conducted by Japanese and local industry experts, the sessions range from food preparation, the use of seasonings to gaining the right techniques in using cooking equipment.
On 29 October, trade and public visitors can register for workshops during the day. Limited seats are available for the Temari Zushi and Matcha Tiramisu Hands-on Workshops, conducted by ABC Cooking Studio Singapore, while Polkaros, a lifestyle brand based in Tokyo that combines influences from Japanese traditional crafts with modern zakka goods, will conduct a Miniature Teishoku Hands-on Workshop. 27 – 29 October 2016 Suntec Singapore www.oishii-world.com
Food Japan 2016
Food Japan is the 5th edition of the regional F&B showcase and is held at Suntec City Convention & Exhibition Centre, Hall 401-402. For details of Food Japan 2016’s exhibitors and more information, please visit www.oishii-world.com/en.
Food Japan 2016 Date and Time:
27 – 28 October : 10am – 5:30pm daily (Open to Trade Only)
29 October : 11am – 4:30pm (Open to Trade & Public)
Suntec Singapore Convention & Exhibition Centre
Hall 401 – 402, 1 Raffles Boulevard, Suntec City, Singapore 039593
SGD20 for on-site registration
Public Day (29 October):
SGD4 per pax
Free entry for children 12 years old and below